IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feedback requested., More settings regarding ansi or no...
Should there be a new setting allowing a separate color to be picked for hilighted default-colored text, or should it be left as is (automated)?
Should there be a new setting allowing a separate color to be picked for hilighted default-colored text, or should it be left as is (automated)?
Leave automated. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
New setting. [ 4 ] ** [100.00%]
Total Votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 
Day
post Nov 18 2004, 05:04 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

I was talking to Jay about ansi again, in light of the post made a while ago about hilighted ansi always being dark grey.

The way Sav used to work was either no difference, or bold, which messes up the mono-spacing. This functionality is how zMud works.

The way things work now, Sav interprets the hilight tag by taking whatever color you have set and increasing the RGB value. If it reaches the top, it wraps over (modulus addition) so that there will always be an appriciable difference, even if it sometimes means funky colors show up.

That's option number one above.

Number two is to add a setting into the world-preferences that allows you to set your default-colored text's hilight color. This would enable you to make your normally white text hilight to magenta or dark green or whatever you want. This functionality is how SimpleMU* works.

If you have a third (or fourth or fifth) idea, please pipe up. Be as specific as possible, though, please, so that Jay, reading it, will know what you're talking about.

--------------------
->Day<-
Doom-sayer and Pessimist, Extraordinaire

http://www.texastrombones.net
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gilrain
post Nov 18 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 60

I agree that one should be able to choose a default hilight color. I always keep my foreground color bright white, and the resulting dark gray hilights serve to deemphasize the hilighted text, not emphasize it as intended. It's neat feature, because at least I can see hilights with bright white text, but being able to choose the color would be even better.

Taurindur @ Elendor

+Quote Post
jay
post Nov 18 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I like the idea of adding a color swatch for explicitely selecting the intense color. It would be laid-out in the Appearances tab of the World Settings dialog as a group of radio buttons:

( ) Use bold in place of intense
( ) Use automatic brightener for intense
( ) Use this color for intense: [ color swatch ]

The factory default radio button selection, as it currently is implied within Savitar, would be "Use automatic brightener for intense".

Some questions I have are:

Does anyone ever use the "Use bold in place of intense" checkbox? If so, under what circumstances? (It does mess-up mono-spacing, but are you using a special font?)

Do people like the "automatic brightener"?, If so, why? If not, why?

As Day noted in his post, we're open to suggestions, that's why this is being posted instead of just flat-out released in Savitar 1.3.7. (Yep, this is targeted for 1.3.7)

Thank you!

/Jay

+Quote Post
gilrain
post Nov 18 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 60

Yeah, that's exactly how I envisioned it being laid out. That sounds great!

As a matter of fact, I do use bold in place of intense. I'm using 14pt Courier for everything, and I don't find that it messes up monospaced tables very much. However, if this new feature is added, I will probably switch to a custom color of my own.

Also, I think the automatic brightener is a very good idea. I think the way it's implemented may be a little counter-intuitive. Most of the people I know set their clients' foreground color to either straight white (like me) or to a very light gray. Either of those results in hilight being a dark gray color when the automatic brightener is on. Unfortunately, I can't think offhand how this could be improved.

Taurindur @ Elendor

+Quote Post
jay
post Nov 20 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

So be it then. smile.gif

I posted Savitar 1.3.7 to the download page, it has this setting in the Appearance tab of world settings.

Enjoy,

/Jay

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:01 AM