2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> automatic log features, automatic logging features
Guest_barkmoo_*
post Jun 19 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Guests

here are a few things that would be very helpful about logs:
1. ability to set it to automatically save logs always.
2. automatically name the logfile with a unique name (or at least the world name and the date, like cantrip), with option to just keep adding onto a previous logfile if one with that name is found.

great proggie...especially now that those bugs are patched.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Roo_*
post Jun 19 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Guests

You know what would also be handy is if logs could retain the flags/colors/markup whatever stuff, so it looks like the session you were in. If that could also be searchable, that would be nice too. Is it possible to get both features in one document?

+Quote Post
Day
post Jun 20 2003, 01:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

Searchable for, like, a word? I always edit logs in TextEdit which, as you might be aware, has a 'find' feature. I know this isn't the same, but TextEdit has more powerful formatting features, anyway.

What's with you people who don't register?

->Day<-
--------------------------------
"Oh my."
-Star Wars: A New Hope

--------------------
->Day<-
Doom-sayer and Pessimist, Extraordinaire

http://www.texastrombones.net

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Roo_*
post Jun 22 2003, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Guests

Day,

I did register, I just didn't sign in formally, 'zat ok with you?

Anyway yeah, I know logs are editable in TextEdit, or any WP program you want to drop them into. My point was (a) that I don't want to -have- to reformat something that seems like it could be easily possible to save with all the -original- color and formatting in some type of Savitar document. Then (cool.gif I was asking, -if- we could get that type of save, can it -also- be searchable.

Now I see that a Savitar document is searchable to begin with, yay! So, all I would like is for the log to be captured in the original format with all the color flags and such. Or am I just dense and it can do that already? Could be.

(Heh, my parenthesized 'b' comes out as a cool-dude smiley. Ok...)

+Quote Post
Day
post Jun 22 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Guest_Roo @ Jun 22 2003, 03:19 AM)
I did register, I just didn't sign in formally, 'zat ok with you?

Well. That'll certainly do it, won't it. And I agree on original colors and what have you. I don't have a lot of ansi and whathaveyou on the MUSHes I play, but it wouldn't be a BAD thing to have.

As for density... I don't think it can already be done, but you and I both get equal dense points for not realizing the search thing is already there. wink.gif

->Day<-
------------------------
" ...having had to have edited it..."
-Me

--------------------
->Day<-

+Quote Post
Guest_Sleepy_*
post Aug 20 2003, 01:43 AM
Post #6

Guests

Maybe I'm in the witness protection program. Or a ninja! ph34r.gif Or maybe I'm just lazy. I did register the software, so I feel like I gave at the office, y'know.

It would be really helpful if text were written to file as it is received so I don't end up with a blank log file if Savitar crashes.

I really like Savitar but occasionally I feel like I have to have a log of something (like handling an OOC dispute) and find myself either crossing my fingers nervously or switching to TinyFugue, which I barely remember how to use... sad.gif

The ability to append text to an existing log file rather than overwriting it would also be very handy.

+Quote Post
Day
post Aug 20 2003, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sleepy @ Aug 20 2003, 01:43 AM)
I did register the software, so I feel like I gave at the office, y'know.

Reistering on the forums doesn't, you know... COST anything... Just to clarify.

And yeah. It sucks to loose a log when Sav crashes, though it seems to ME, anyway, that crashes are getting way, very extremely rare.

->Day<-

--------------------
->Day<-

+Quote Post
Guest_silverdragon_*
post Mar 9 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #8

Guests

Automatic logging in realtime, preferable to files with date in name as option, would be one of the things I need, were I to consider using this, so put another voice for wishing this feature.

+Quote Post
Guest_Elly_*
post Jul 11 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #9

Guests

Maybe I'm out of my mind, but I /swear/ my old version of Sav - 1.2.whatever - on OS X DID put the date in my logfile name. The new version doesn't, so I have to type it in. Weep.

+Quote Post
heidialyssa
post Oct 25 2004, 01:34 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 16

The old versions of Savitar did in OS 9. It was great and I would love to see it again.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Peganthyrus_*
post Dec 18 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #11

Guests

(I forgot my password long ago and seems my login's not connected to the proper e-mail address.)

Things to note:
* In the preferences, you can choose what your logs will open in when you double-click - Savitar, Word, or BBEdit. I chose BBEdit, since I don't have Word!

You might be able to tell the OS to open all BBEdit|Word-tagged files in Your Favorite Word Processor, too. Dunno. I've had BBEdit about as long as I've had Savitar.

* If you're REALLY paranoid about saving a log, you could always click in the main pane of the window, apple-A, then paste it into TextEdit or something. Since the 'sending keepalive to disconnected world crashes Savitar' bug was fixed, I haven't had it crash on me ever. Admittedly all I use is some basic highlightings and logging.

* Yeah, writing logs out regularly would be cool, so would openin the file in append mode rather than overwrite. I lost a pretty good bit of narrative just a couple days ago by accidentally overwriting the log - though I think it was the first time ever. This's about the only thing I miss from the otherwise-arcane Tinyfugue!

-Peggy

+Quote Post
Guest_SilverDragon_*
post Feb 22 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #12

Guests

Add another vote.. there is no mack mu* client that seems to do everything that a lot of windows world ones can..
my basic required feature list is pretty simple
1) automatic logging of everything, preferably to a unique file for each day
2) highlighting of trigger text
3) command history
4) being able to seach back buffer.
5) easily see when theres activity in a world, perhaps in dock icon similar to how adium x shows new messages?

I think those four points cover all my main wants of a client, no osx client seems to smoothly.. and none I find will cover 1-4, 5 would be nice too..

+Quote Post
Osfer
post Jun 6 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 71

The previous poster more or less summed it all up. An autologging feature is an absolute must for a poorly organised chump like myself and lacking from just about every Mac MUCK client. I don't mind if it generates a new file for each session or appends each session to one super-log for that world. Many's the time I lost a good bit of fiction by closing the window and then, groaning, realizing I hadn't logged it.
A notificatin feature like Adium's dock icon, or even its use of Growl would be really handy and make this program much more useful as a window that can safely be left in the background,w ithout having to paranoidly check it every half a minute.

Other than that -- brilliant software!

+Quote Post
Day
post Jun 7 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SilverDragon @ Feb 22 2005, 12:34 AM)
3) command history
and none I find will cover 1-4

What? Sav has a command history? I can press up a bunch and it goes through everything I've put in for a long, long time. I occasionally run into something I want back, but can't get to because the history is smaller than my memory, but this is usually only when I'm trying to remember a command and, rather than ask for help or looking at help like a smart person, I'm guessing a lot.

->Day<-

--------------------
->Day<-

+Quote Post
Guest_SilverDragon_*
post Jun 19 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #15

Guests

I didn't say savitar didnt cover /some/ of the features, that was a general list of everything I specifically would like a client to do. currently only tinyfugue seems to be able to cover everything, if with a lot of fiddling about to get it working nicely.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:27 AM