Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wow the silence...., So are there any other mud owners/admins
Kaleisha
post Dec 10 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 62

out there? I'm interested to know

I meet mac user players fairly often. One way I spot them is when they ask on newbie why greet isn't working. In our mud we use greet as a way to trigger dialogue between the player and the mob. I get a few new players who pipe up and ask why greet isn't working for them. They then tell me that when they try it it's making them do the 'hi there hows it going' thing. I have to explain to them it is a universal standard trigger that is preset in savitar that is over riding their greet. Anyway it's always a fun way to spot other mac users.

But as far as admins, owners, gods etc I don't think I have actually run into any at all. I found it useful being on a mac when we were developing the code for our mud, I was able to make sure it was all working as we wanted it to from the mac point of view. Had to run a few different mac clients to make sure all the ansi was showing up correctly and the maps were displaying right. Maybe that kind of thing is not so important on a code base that has been around for a while.

So if you are a builder or whatever, what kind of problems have you had? I used to be an imm on a diku mud and they had no OLC, and I couldn't track down any kind of building client that would run on a mac. So I was basically taking the code for an existing area, reading through it all and building my area in a text file copying the code I already had. sheesh!.. never did get that area finished either *grin*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kaleisha
post Dec 10 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Oh and since we were invited to blatantly promote our favourite worlds here. *shameless plug* evarayn

We're a rp strongly suggested/enforced mud (I don't say purely rp enforced because we're just not the nazi admin types) original code base. Classless system where you can pick and mix skills to create the style of character you wish, and though we do have levels, your advancement with skills is not dependant on levelling. You can stand around and roleplay all day and still gain skillpoints. Hmm yeah check the website if you're interested, we welcome new players

http://evarayn.com/

Pssst Jay. how about one of those preset listings on the world picker to catch the eye of new savitar convertees *grin*

+Quote Post
Day
post Dec 10 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

I MUSH, rather than MUD, but I thought I'd respond, anyway. I've never successfully gotten a world off the ground. I've made a go twice, but I don't have the time to be a good admin and I've never found a group of guys who I a) liked and cool.gif had any more time than I did, realistically. So, there's that. I've doen some low-level admining on other folks' MUSHes, including building. I'm not sure how it works with MUDs, but PennMUSH (my preferred codebase) makes buidling fairly standard, so that you don't have to worry about formatting or colors showing up wrong in a client unless the client is somehow wonky. That's my... story or whatever.

->Day<-

--------------------
->Day<-
Doom-sayer and Pessimist, Extraordinaire

http://www.texastrombones.net

+Quote Post
Kaleisha
post Dec 10 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #4

*nods*

I think most muds whatever these days have online creation so it's no longer a hassle. Ours is fairly easy to build in, and yeah.. nice to have a tried and tested code base to work with. Ours has been created from scratch hence the reason I've had to do all the mac testing for it. But after a year or so of running we've ironed out all those creases. I still shudder when I recall the full page ansi colour map incident, it was horrendous.. looked like a xmas tree on acid in savitar.

Anyway so nice to read a forum where people aren't asking how to set up zmud scripts. I tend to yap away even when no one is listening, so expect more spammage.

Can't recall if I ever tried playing a mush or not. I remember one place someone persuaded me to try where people were fingering me! and page was like a message command? (I feel so dense here, really) anyway the whole kitty girl and vampire lords running around wanting to cyber really put me off.. seriously why is every female (or guy playing female) in these things a kitty girl.. freaky

+Quote Post
Day
post Dec 11 2004, 05:31 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

I can't really speak to the kitty girl thing, but on page and finger:

Page is a message command, indeed. It's like when they get on the intercom at K-Mart and say, "Paging Dan! Paging Dan!" Same word, or so I surmise.

Finger (typically +finger) is from an old command used to get information about remote systems. I'm not sure, but I think it was part of the old BBS systems or Usenet or... you get the idea. Before my time, anyway.

So, ah... Now you know... what my assumptions and theories are.

->Day<-

--------------------
->Day<-
Doom-sayer and Pessimist, Extraordinaire

http://www.texastrombones.net

+Quote Post
Mack
post Feb 16 2005, 04:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 66

Yeah, I tried the whole mud admin thing. There was an old mud, based largely on the Discworld codebase (DW mudlib running on a heavily modified mudOS base) that died. I tried reviving it. A year later of not much sleep, I abandoned it. I got close enough that I could actually log in. However, there was a problem with it, and no player targeting command would work right. That included "tell", some versions of "look", etc. Not cool. So the project died. But it worked, mostly, briefly. Hosted on my G4 cube. smile.gif

-M

+Quote Post
Athena
post Sep 24 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 80

Hey there! I'm running a couple of games currently, one of which I own and head up. I only do basic code myself, but I know of a few fellow players on Macs, most of which I've pushed over into using Savitar. I've been wizzing/admining on games for three or so years now.

My place is an RP MUX, superhero-themed, if any of you are interested. It has been up and running since last December, and we have a faithful, expanding playerbase. Here is the obligatory shameless plug:

Marvel Knights MUX: Mean Streets
mkmux.co.uk 2004
http://mkmux.stabbity.co.uk

Guests are always welcome!

~Athena

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:14 PM