Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Events window has disappeared
Kaleisha
post Apr 13 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 62

Ok, I've just learnt to live with the ongoing random crashings. on average around 4 or 5 in an 8 hour day I've taken to saving things alot more frequently so I don't lose stuff. I begn to notice that one of the instances that causes a crash is when a newbie creates.. I'm still not sure why or how, but I can recall at least 5 times in the last few months when I have crashed and returned to find a newbie in the world. Now for some background, I did set triggers up to watch and check family status of all newbies as they enterred the world. I'm not actually seeing the text that would fire that triggered before I crash but I was wondering if it was perhaps firing from the information the mud was sending and I was crashing before i even saw it? I have no idea how that all works but I'm just trying to make sense of what could just be a very weird coinciddence.

So anyway I decided to check on my triggers and open up my events window GAH! I cannot find it?? The mud window dims to light grey as it does when it is a background window, but I'm not seeing anny evennts window anywhere. I tried dragging things around clearing desktop completely hitting f keys and even looking under the rug (ok joking about the rug) and the window is gone! I've quit everything else, restarted, quit savitar restarted.... no events window to be found anywhere. So now I'm kind of confused about what to try next
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Day
post Apr 14 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

First, on the crashes: Don't put up with them, do something to get them fixed. Email a crashlog to Jay and he'll take a look at it. There's a thread with instructions in one of these forums, so go find it. It's not hard to do.

Can't help you on the other. We'll see what Jay says.

->Day<-

--------------------
->Day<-
Doom-sayer and Pessimist, Extraordinaire

http://www.texastrombones.net

+Quote Post
jay
post Apr 16 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Yes, please do send a crash report. Also, if you are crashing on a specific world, send a copy of that file.

I personally use Savitar for hours at a time each day of the week and do not get crashes. I'd love to know what the crash is that you are seeing and fix up whatever case is bringing that on.

/Jay

+Quote Post
Kaleisha
post Apr 16 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Ok, I'll send you all the stuffs again. Problem now is that I have narrowed it down to a trigger that is causing the crash, well there could be others upsetting it too, but this one is definately causing a crash. But I can't eliminate the trigger as my events window is gone. Is there anything I can try meantime to recover the events window, or is there some way I can get into it to delete the trigger that is causing this?

+Quote Post
jay
post Apr 19 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

[Kaleisha and I shared some emails on this subject and here's the solution to the crash Kaleisha was seeing]

< snip >

Okay I figured out the crash. Savitar is not gracefully handling the unnamed variables in your trigger. It should generate a warning, but instead barfs. Will fix that in next release. In the meanwhile, edit your trigger to have a named variable.

< snip >

Remember, using a wildcard without a variable name after it indicates the wildcard doesn't set a variable. That is to say, doing: "The rain falls mainly on the $$" for a match string will match on anything in the $$ position, but you won't be able to use that as a variable (like replying with "say It's raining on the %%!". Instead, you will have to do a match string like "The rain falls mainly on the $$area" and then you could do a reply string of "say It's raining on the %%area!". Dig?

/Jay

+Quote Post
Kaleisha
post Apr 19 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #6

*grin*

I've gone through and edited all my triggers now. These triggers always used to work fine which is why it has taken me such a long time to actually track down what the cause was (It was finally another god who noticed it was newbies creating that crashed me) I think it was the update to os 10.3.9 that was the start of my troubles with the crashes. Glad to have it all resolved now! Thanks alot for the help Jay, it's nice to have the support and responses to issues

(still not sure what was going on with my events window taking a hike though, maybe my triggers were just confusing it so much it decided to take a vacation?)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:13 PM