Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cosmetic and Registration, More Ansi Problems plus Registration
Stormy
post Oct 16 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

I've got my colors back. Whee! My problem, now, though is that %h (highlight on some Tinymux based databases) now show up as as close to black as it can get and still be seen. This, to me, is a problem. I've turned bold on, thinking that this will fix the problem and everything else highlighted becomes obnoxiously so when all I wanted to do was see the highlighted plain text (non-colored). Going into the 'Edit Ansi Settings' at all crashes Savitar completely so I just avoid it altogether.

My next problem concerns registration. I've been registered for quite a while now and, with the installaiton of 1.3, it's suddenly lost that information and brings up the registration field again. Truly, this is no more than an annoyance as Savitar continues to work, but it's been so long that I've registered that I have no idea where my original email is anymore, if it's even in the mail client that I'm using now.

Please help.
Stormy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Day
post Oct 17 2003, 03:05 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

I'm not Jay, but I worked with him on the highlighting thing. It's kind of complicated, so I'll hit it in a second. First:

Registration codes. I had this problem, too, so a while ago when I had to email Jay for my code back I, *gasp* wrote it down. I did so on the box with all my OS CDs and other important stuff so I'll always know where it is. I've taken to keeping other registration codes there, too. Just a sugestion that worked for me.

Back to ansi. Previously hilighting wasn't working for me. Or, actually, it was, but the increase was so slight I couldn't tell (bevause I was using very-nearly-white text on a black BG). Jay was awesome and spent some one-on-one time with me, connected to my MUSH trying things out. What we figured out is that the formula for highlighting was making a MASSIVE difference for darker colors and a very small difference for light colors. I don't remember why.

My initial suggestions was to make a selection with all the other ansi color choices for the user to be able to define their own hilighting color, irrespective of their normal text color. However, as this was working from beta 1.3 to 1.3 gold, Jay didn't want to do any GUI changes. So we just worked out a different formula. I don't recall exactally what it is anymore, but it takes the RGB value of your normal text color and adds, I think, just under a third of whatever the total possible is. If this ends up being over the highest possible value, rather than just maxing out, it "wraps" back down. I forget the mathematical funtion that does this, but there is one. I'm a Linguist, and my Engineer room mate helped me out.

This situation is not, obviously, ideal, but it DOES ensure that no matter what color text you have, there will be an appriciable difference between your normal and your hilighted text. I think that one of the things planned for 1.4 is a GUI change like the one I outlined above. Or at least I hope that's in the plan.

All I can say in order to fix the legebility of hilighted text is to chage your BG color or your normal text color a bit. If you make your text color closer to black the hilight should, at some point, be pure white. My text is now all grey, but I don't notice untill something is highlighted and it turns up pure white.

->Day<

--------------------
->Day<-
Doom-sayer and Pessimist, Extraordinaire

http://www.texastrombones.net

+Quote Post
Stormy
post Oct 18 2003, 02:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6

Thank you. I'll give both a try biggrin.gif ; emailing for my registration and adjusting my text color a bit darker. Actually, I hadn't even realized that it had turned to pure white.

Thanks again,
Stormy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 09:37 PM